“Newport, Rhode Island, that breeding place-that stud farm, so to speak-of aristocracy; aristocracy of the American type”
Newport. The sailing capital of the world.
Between the lobster rolls, cliff walks along the coast, Vanderbilt mansions, and rosé… this is your next summer vacation.
The heart of Newport is clearly the harbor.
Located downtown, the harbor is surrounded by historic homes, quaint bars and restaurants, and charming shops.
For dinner, choose a restaurant that overlooks the water. The entire city looks like it’s on fire. Believe it or not, this sunset picture is completely unedited. The colors are that crazy!
The restaurants and bars in Newport are unlike any place I’ve been…
Most exist in buildings that were constructed in the mid 1600’s. I truly felt like I had stepped out of a time machine!
Clarke Cooke House serves fantastic New England dishes, and their outdoor/indoor bar has a great sunset view😉
For more of a fine dining experience (or even just appetizers and a glass of rosé), DO NOT miss out on Cast Hill Inn.
Located on a 40-acre peninsula, Castle Hill is one of those places that you walk up to and all you can say is “wow.”
Eat outside, watch sailboats ride by in the sunset, and eat all the seafood your heart desires.
The Newport Cliff Walk is one of the most popular attractions in the “City by the Sea.”
The walk along The Breakers is 3.5 miles of mansions, wildlife, and winding pathways.
Where to Eat:
- Castle Hill Inn- go for sunset, and request to sit outside! This is the best restaurant experience I’ve ever had!
- 22 Bowens Wine Bar & Grille- delicious food and eclectic cocktails with a view of the harbor.
- Newport Lobster Shack- known for the best lobster rolls in Newport, RI!
- Clarke Cooke House- fantastic New England food with a great view of the harbor. Grab a drink in the balcony bar!
- White Horse Tavern- located in a building constructed in 1673?! Indulge in their New England food and rum drinks.
- Newport Cliff Walk- its free… it’s beautiful… it’s fun… need I say more?
- Boat tour- you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not take a sunset cruise or daytime boat tour of Newport. You get to see lighthouses, mansions, sailboats, islands, etc… book your tour at the Newport harbor.
- Lighthouses, lighthouses, lighthouses- go see at least one lighthouse. Beavertail and Rose Island are gorgeous!
- International Tennis Hall of Fame- even if you’re not into tennis, this is a world famous attraction and an amazing experience.
- Bannister’s Warf- this is the heart of downtown Newport. The best restaurants, bars, and shops exist around this street.